Sunday, March 14, 2010

Wipe Out!

Yes, it happened. My first official wipe out. It was actually a week ago, it was beautiful here, some of the first days of spring. I was out for a run, planning to go a bit farther. Right about the time I usually start heading back, I moved out of the street to avoid a car. At that point I noticed that in a few paces, the sidewalk would be covered with snow and ice. As I was scanning for how to move back to the road, suddenly my body was headed in full slow motion toward the ground. I felt as though I should be able to catch my balance, but alas, I could not. As I skidded on my hands, I hit my faces and then the pain surged through me as my knees broke my fall. Stunned, I rolled to my back, trying to breath, mentally accessing that I was OK. I slowly sat up to access the damage. Skinned hands, bloody face, ripped pants, throbbing knees. But no broken bones or teeth. As I gingerly got up, that is when I saw it. The sidewalk corner was raised a good 3 inches or more. I must have hit it square on, which sent my body propelling toward the cement. After stopping to use a walkers cell phone, (thanks to who ever you are!), I called to let the family know that I would be back a bit later and I was OK. (Yes, take a cell with you, I know!) I walked the last 1/2 mile home, thinking that was safer since I couldn't access my throbbing knees that were covered by my pants.

Arriving home, I accessed the damage. I had quite a nice scrapped up chin that has about fully healed over the past week. It wasn't quite as bad as my bloody appearance led my children to believe as I walked in the door. My hands where just scrapped, and I had only minor cuts to my knees, though the bruises they left and the throbbing I still feel will take a while to heal.

One of my many first adventures in this training period. Thankfully I got out of it relatively unscathed, except for quite the wounded ego.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment