Thursday, December 17, 2009

Suffering for the Good

My thoughts lately, have fallen to those truly struggling during this time. We are so blessed and should be so grateful for all that we have. We all know of others suffering and in need of great healing and blessing this season. With all the reminders I've received this year about what this season is about and were our mindset should be and how to prepare, I still catch myself focusing on myself.

I have to remember that our world (in the small sense, here) works like a ripple effect. What we choose to do doesn't just have an impact us or those closest to us. It can spread like wildfire, in both a good and a bad way. Here's an example:

About this time last year, a friend of mine found out her nephew was diagnoised with cancer. He was 3. It was horrible for her and her family. She spread the word to our bible study and we were all praying. She kept us up throughout the year on his well being and also how it was affecting their lives. She shared how her personal prayer time had increase and how she was reaping blessing in the midst of his suffering. He is now in remission, thanks God!

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not glad that this boy or those we know are suffering. But I will say that through this suffering, we can bennifit and grow, and passing it along effects others. My friends words effected not only me, but many others, to be inspired to pray more, not look inward so much, and to rejoice in what we do have.

I have a similar situation with this going on right now in my family. When I catch myself looking inward and being selfish (especially at 4 a.m. up with my 7 month old), I have been trying to pray for Maria and put myself in her place. All of the sudden, what is going on with me or my lack of sleep is pretty sad to whine about in the midst of her and her families struggles.

We need to remember the effect we have on others and how we can use that for good and bad. Let's make an effort to use it for good, so that as we prepare for Christ's coming, we can each do our own little part to be Christ for others!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete